Dear students and faculty:
I’d like to share with you a great list of mental health and well-being resources for SFSU students.
It is provided by Dr. Ron Holt, who is both an SFSU staff physician and a student in our Sexuality Studies MA Program.
Dr. Karen Hossfeld
Associate Professor and Chair
Dept. of Sociology & Sexuality Studies
From Dr. Holt:
Many of us are under a lot of stress and uncertainty as we head into the last half of the semester. Please know you are not alone. We are in this together.
This morning I attended a staff meeting where current student resources were discussed. Wish to share with you.
- Health Promotion and Wellness (HPW) has a great website set up for numerous resources they offer, including upcoming virtual events and workshops: https://wellness.sfsu.edu/events-workshops
- CalFresh Clinic for Food Resources: https://basicneeds.sfsu.edu/calfresh-help-clinic
- HPW started a new YouTube channel for students: https://www.youtube.com/user/sfstatecares/videos
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has free virtual therapy appointments: https://psyservs.sfsu.edu/
- Student Health Services (SHS) has virtual/remote services available for many services, including psychiatry, nutrition, and some medical services: https://health.sfsu.edu/
- If you are having difficulty navigating the use of your private health insurance OR need assistance with resources wherever you are living, SHS has a case manager on staff that you can contact to make a virtual appt. The case manager specializes in helping students figure out resources that are available for them in their current geographic area. Resources can include mental and physical health. If you would like to make a virtual appt with the case manager, please call SHS at 415-338-1251 for assistance.
Over the summer I created some mental health resources in relation to COVID that I wish to share with you.
- I put together a YouTube video series entitled, Mental Health Tips for Students, which give students practical steps on dealing with COVID-19 as SFSU students take classes remotely. Lots of great info in each short segment on various topics.
- There are two ABC news segments ( segments 1 segment 2 ) I did on mental health (MH) tips during COVID.
- I wrote an article for SFSU on tips on how to keep negativity at bay during COVID-19.
- There is a free downloadable coloring book full of affirmations created with students in mind.
Please feel free to use any of the above if helpful now or in the future.
Be well. Stay safe. We will get through this!!
Ronald Holt, DO, MPA, DFAPA (he, him, his)
SFSU Student Health Services